A new question on SPDF and surround sound on Windows 8

A new question on SPDF and surround sound on Windows 8

Postby Guest

I was exploring my installation of Windows 8 and while playing Blu-ray movies I discovered that I am unable to play surround sound, only stereo. The primary problem is that nowhere am I able to specify that I am using 5.1 surround sound speakers. Every device setting that I find allows me to specify only two speakers (stereo). Yet in Windows 7, I had no problems. So the question is "What conditions does the VAS speaker device need to have in order to allow it to configure 5.1 speaker setup?". The same question occurs for direct sound to the real optical speaker device. Maybe if I know this I could find the problem in the related interfaces.

Can you help me with this complicated issue?

Here is some information which may be useful:

BIOS in my computer is set for S/PDIF output. This obviously is working correctly because my surround sound receiver is reporting PCM input and is reproducing stereo sound. But the receiver never switches to DTS or Dolby digital even though I have confirmed that the source is in one of these modes.

I am using the Ac3Filter codec (open source with GNU license), which does allow me to set the 5.1 configuration and S/PDIF output.

The applications that I use to play movies (PowerDVD12 and VLC) are both set to output to S/PDIF.

In the Sound applet, the Playback tab level monitors show that a signal is being sent to Realtek Digital Output (not an optical output), Realtek Digital Output (Optical), Speakers (VirtualAudioStremaing, VAS) - which is the default playback device.

I have allowed non-exclusive uses of the sound devices.

Re: A new question on SPDF and surround sound on Windows 8

Postby admin

It is a complicated question and depends on many factors. How do you setup in Windows7? What's the difference?
admin
Site Admin

Postby Guest

I have been talking with Microsoft (over the phone!). Apparently the difference is that Windows 8 does not have a codec yet that will process surround sound. Even though I installed AC3Filter for this function, it seems to not be enough. I wonder if Windows Media Center is bounded to the Microsoft codec and not the open source codec. AC3Filter cannot override another codec although it does allow itself to have a priority. If you have thoughts, that would be wonderful. Otherwise, I will simply need to be patient.

Postby admin

Thank you for the information. Feel free to let me know if you have any suggestions on using our VAS in future. We really appreciate users like you.
admin
Site Admin

Return to Archived Q/A