VAS with Windows 8 Pro 64-bit

VAS with Windows 8 Pro 64-bit

Postby Guest

I now have Windows 8 Pro 64-bit installed with Virtual Audio Sound. I must say that attempting to migrate Windows 7 Pro 64-bit was so traumatic in my case (a very complicated environment) that I had to resort to a clean install of the OS, but at least transferred my personal files and folders. Of course, I installed VAS. VAS seems to work mostly, but I am having my old problem where I can get no sound from the VAS Speakers. I DO get sound when I directly connect to my S/PDIF optical output. I also get an error when VAS starts up: WAVEOUT:20 The specified format is not supported or cannot be translated. Use the Capabilities function in start(). Perhaps this indicates a conflict with the audio driver used by my chipset: Realtek High Definition Audio, version 6.0.1.6657 (the most recent for Windows 8). This always occurs when VAS starts up automatically with Windows or when I start VAS manually.

Any ideas?

Re: VAS with Windows 8 Pro 64-bit

Postby admin

"I also get an error when VAS starts up: WAVEOUT:20 The specified format is not supported or cannot be translated."

This message means you have not installed VAS driver correctly. Please reinstall VAS to fix. See the FAQ:
http://www.virtualaudiostreaming.net/faq.html

VAS version 4.0 fully support Windows 8, so I am sure a correct reinstalling should fix this problem. There is a warning dialog from Windows during installation and you need to click 'install' button.

"I am having my old problem where I can get no sound from the VAS Speakers."

After fixing problem 1, if this problem still exists, it means you do not correctly select your physical sound card in VAS. See :

http://www.virtualaudiostreaming.net/listen-to-sounds-during-recording.html

Let me know if you need more assistant.
admin
Site Admin

Re: VAS with Windows 8 Pro 64-bit

Postby Guest

All fixed! My problem was that I inadvertently had two VAS devices and that factor confused me during my setup changes. I uninstalled both devices because the problem persisted when I removed only one device, and then I did a single reinstallation. All is well again. From now on, I am taking Restore Points before I experiment.

Thanks again!

Return to Archived Q/A