Listen to external speakers while recording

Listen to external speakers while recording

Postby Guest

I just purchased your product. I can record something I'm streaming. But I can't listen to it at the same time, or later, through my external speakers connected at a USB port, without changing the default device. I'm using Windows 7.

I see 2 "speakers" when I click the speaker icon in the bottom right tray. One of them seems to be for your product. When I unmute the other, I hear the stream (or the recording I made of it), but only through the computer's built in speakers.

I went to the DOS window and created a second virtual sound card. But I don't know if I needed to do that or, if so, how to take advantage of it.

Please help, as this seems to be the last remaining obstacle to my enjoying your product.

Re: Listen to external speakers while recording

Postby admin

One instance of VAS(VirtualAudioStreaming) can only play sounds to one physical sound card. From your description, I understand you can hear sounds from your internal physical sound card when setting VAS as default sound card, right? To hear sounds from external sound card, you have to configure VAS to let it send sounds to external card instead of internal card. See:

If you would like to listen to sounds on both sound cards at the same time, you can launch a second instance of VAS applications (don't use two VAS drivers), then set one VAS instance to internal sound card, the other VAS instance to external sound card.

Let me know if you have more questions.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Guest

Now I’m worse off and even more confused than before. I’m no longer trying to listen to music as I stream and record it. I’m now just trying to record music and then listen to it after I record it. But I can’t even do that.

For one thing, my window doesn’t look like the one you sent a picture of.

A. On the left side of the main window, I:
1. Click on “Set Virtual Audio Streaming as the default sound playback device.”
2. Go to the Playback tab and set “Virtual Audio Streaming Driver” as the default.
3. Go to the Recording tab and set Virtual Audio Streaming Driver as the default.

B. On the right side of the main window, I:
1. Click on “Stream audio to applications.”
2. Click on “Set Virtual Audio Streaming as the default sound record device.”
3. This takes me to the same tabs I saw before, confirming that Virtual Audio Streaming Driver is the default playback device and the default recording device.

C. Again on the right side of the main window, I:
1. Click on “Output audio to real sound card.”
2. Click on Stop.
3. Click on “Show Virtual Sound Card.”
4. Select “Virtual Audio Streaming” as the default speakers.

D. In the middle of the main window, I:
1. Click on Open Folder and delete all the *.wav files in there.
2. Click on Start Recording.

F. Then I:
1. Play a song in RealPlayer.
2. I can’t hear it from my external (USB-connected) speakers.
3. When I unplug them, I can’t hear it from my internal speakers either.

G. When the song is over, I:
1. Stop RealPlayer.
2. Drag the *.wav file into ITunes.
3. When I try to play the song on ITunes, the time slide bar moves, but I hear no sound.
4. When I play other songs that are already in ITunes, I don’t hear them either.

H. I go back to “Output audio to real sound card” on the right side of the main screen.
1. “Stop” is showing.
2. I select my external speakers as my real audio card.
3. I go back to ITunes. Now I can hear the other songs I already have on ITunes through my external speakers.
4. But I still can’t hear the song I dragged into ITunes from the Virtual Audio Streaming folder.

I. I go back to “Get audio from your computer” on the left side of the main window.
1. I set my default playback device as my external speakers.
2. At this point, I hear intermittent static from the left external speaker.
3. I can still hear other songs that were already on ITunes, but I still can’t hear the song I dragged from the Virtual Audio Streaming folder into ITunes.

J. I go back to “Stream audio to applications”
1. I select my external speakers as the default playback device.
2. At this point, I believe all my defaults are my external speakers.
3. I’m still hearing the intermittent static out of the left external speaker.
4. I can still hear all my other songs on ITunes, but still can’t hear the song I dragged from the Virtual Audio Streaming folder.

K. I reboot my computer after removing Virtual Audio Streaming from the start-up menu.
1. I open only ITunes.
2. I still can’t hear the song I dragged from the Virtual Audio Streaming folder, but I can hear all my other songs on ITunes.
3. Select my external speakers as my real audio card.

Can you please help me? I’m getting a little frustrated.

Postby admin

First, I remember you added the second VAS driver on your computer, if that is true, delete one to avoid confusion. Two VAS drivers may cause problems if you do not use them correctly. The easiest way to delete driver is: uninstall VAS, restart Windows, reinstall VAS.

Second, Use:

C. Again on the right side of the main window, I:
1. Click on “Output audio to real sound card.”
2. Click on Stop.
3. Click on “Show Virtual Sound Card.”
4. Select “Virtual Audio Streaming” as the default speakers.

No need to 'show virtual sound card'. Keep it uncheck and select your physical sound card (the one you would like to hear sounds from). (don't select VAS here)
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin

As to the problem on the songs you recorded via ITunes:

1) It is known that iTunes writes silence data after songs are end. So maybe the audio files you recorded happened to be silence. Use Windows media player or foobar or winamp or any other audio players to avoid this issue.

2) To make sure VAS reads audio devices correctly, every time you change default playback devices, you may close VAS and restart it. This step is not required, only for currently debugging. Also don't forget to checking the unmute box.
admin
Site Admin

Return to Archived Q/A